Visit London Asks: What’s Your Favourite Period in London’s History?

Mayor Boris Johnson launched Disney's A Christmas Carol in New York yesterday

Last week, we asked for your Only in London recommendations. Thanks for adding your thoughts to the comments!

With news announced yesterday that London will be heading back to Victorian times this Christmas with the exciting world premiere of Disney’s A Christmas Carol and Christmas Carol themed Christmas lights in the West End, we’ve been discussing London’s history here at VL towers.

So, imaginative thinking caps on. We want to know, if you were given a time machine, which period of London’s history would you most like to travel back to?!

Would you be interested in galloping across to Hampton Court Palace with Henry VIII and his Tudor court?

Or maybe you’d like to pop into an 18th century coffee house, and witness the new revolutionary age of pamphlets and trade and Enlightenment.

Perhaps you’re another fan of Dickens’ Victorian London, and would like to go back to the golden age of railway with stations like St Pancras; new buildings like the Houses of Parliament, and the Royal Albert Hall; the Great Exhibition of 1851, and the wonderful Crystal Palace.

Or would you rather swing with Twiggy and The Stones in Carnaby Street in the 1960s? Let us know!

Comments

1. Tammy Milton says:

For me it was when all the royal skulduggery went on. From about Henty VIII till about now.

2. londonlover says:

I’d be quite interested to go back and see the 1951 Festival of Britain events in London. The Skylon sculpture on the new South Bank, the new Royal Festival Hall and all that. After all the difficulties during the war, it was supposed to be a great tonic for the nation. Think I’d like to be part of something like that!

3. Claire says:

I read far too many Georgette Heyer books when I was young so I’d love go back in time and be part of the “upper ten thousand” in the Regency era.

Dancing, drinking and dressing up – yay !

4. Lilac says:

That sense of solidarity, romance, make-do-and-mend and, of course, a touch of tragedy would make depression-era London an interesting time to visit. Not sure I’d want to live then though.

5. jose adams says:

Late 16th century would be my choice – with London starting to emerge as a major commercial centre in Europe and of course at the forefront of cultural activity too – imagine going to the opening night of a newly penned Shakespeare play. Marvellous.

I’d love to have seen London in the 1960s, but I think the Beatles to Bowie exhibition at The National Gallery is as close as I’ll ever get! Looking forward to seeing it.

7. Elizabeth Winters says:

I would love to go back to Henry VIII’s time, what excitment and drama going on!!! Visiting all the palaces he occupied, and built.

8. Steve Pugh says:

Roman Londinium to see the very birth of the city; or even further back, to before the last ice age, when mammoths and rhinos roamed the banks of the Thames.