Visit London Asks: What’s Your Favourite London Musical?

That famous lift in Dirty Dancing The MusicalLast week we set stomachs rumbling and mouths watering with our question about your best London restaurants, in celebration of the London Restaurant Festival. Thanks to everyone who took part.

This week, our attention turns to theatre: namley musicals.

Today is Dirty Dancing The Musical’s birthday! It was three years ago today that the new musical opened at the Aldwych Theatre in London and broke all box office records with advance ticket sales of £11m.

And how is this brilliantly cheesy musical celebrating its 3rd birthday? With even more tickets going on sale! You can now book tickets to see Dirty Dancing right up until October 2010, taking the show up to its fourth birthday.

But Dirty Dancing is actually just like the Baby in the show in West End musical terms: yesterday The Lion King celebrated its 10th birthday. Celebrity guests arrived on a “yellow” carpet at the special 10th anniversary performance at the Lyceum Theatre. You can watch video footage of last night’s 10th anniversary show at the Official London Theatre website.

With both these wonderful shows celebrating success stories, we’d like to open up a debate, often heard in the VL office, to the world outside: what’s your favourite London musical? And why?!

Comments

1. londonlover says:

Oooh, tricky question. For me, it has to be Wicked. I love it!

Avenue Q is my favourite – it’s funny, has great songs and features the brilliant Bad Idea Bears!

3. Lettice says:

It’s probably either Avenue Q, Jersey Boys or Billy Elliott. Or Hairspray.

All this media frenzy about the new Phantom musical makes me want to see the original and the new one.

4. Claire says:

I liked Oliver! Haven’t seen a few of the others mentioned here so I will have to work on remedying that situation :P

5. Galina says:

I love We Will Rock You! Great music and funny plot.

6. Jotc says:

Mine has to be Billy Elliott but with Avenue Q coming in a close second.

7. Zoe J. Griffiths says:

Lots of good choices. For me, the best musical will always be Starlight Express.

As a teenager, I loved the drama of Les Mis. But if we’re talking current choices, I was recently blown away by Billy Elliot.

Then on the silly scale, Mamma Mia is really funny. And I really, really love everything about Avenue Q… So difficult to choose! :)

8. Phil Gross says:

Wow, a tough question! But my all time favorite is still “Jesus Christ Superstar”