Visit London Asks: What’s Your Favourite London Cinema?

We seem to be on a roll with Londony cinematic excitement at the moment.

First, discussions about which part of the BFI’s 2010 plans are most impressive. Then Dalston’s Rio cinema celebrated its 100th birthday last week. And Saturday saw the National Theatre’s new show, Nation, broadcast live in cinemas across London and the UK.

London’s got some fantastic cinemas: alongside the multiplexes, there are some London cinemas that are really unusual, and have a programme to match. Indeed, it’s London’s rich cinematic offering that local comedian and actor Alistair McGowan says he misses most when outside the capital.

So, we want to know, what’s your favourite London cinema? Answers in the comments below!

Comments

1. Chocoralie says:

I love the Secret Cinema… because it moves from one place to another and takes you to surprising places – last time was a fab art deco theater!

2. Nic says:

rich mix on bethnal green road, i watch whatever i can there. comfy seats, random film festivals, great prices – what’s not to like!

3. Osteopath London says:

4. I’ve never been to London could anyone suggest any decent cinema’s to me? Because i’m going down in a few weeks. Thanks

I like the Ritzy in Brixton – I always go early and spend some time in the cafe first. Also, I’d recommend the ICA’s cinema as it always has an interesting selection of films on – many of which aren’t screened at many other cinemas.

6. Hannah says:

My favourite’s the Tricycle in Kilburn, which has a comfy cinema, plus a theatre, cafe/bar and friendly atmosphere.

7. woohoofoo says:

Everyman Belsize Park! Wonderful! Bar service to your HUGE seat….and food too. What more could you ask for!

8. Lilac says:

I recently went to the newly-refurbished Screen on the Green in Islington and that was pretty cool – bar in the cinema, couches, etc.

9. juju says:

I like all the Curzon Cinemas – Soho, Chelsea, Mayfair. The Everyman is good too woohoofoo!

10. cinemalover says:

I love the Everyman Cinema in Belsize Park. Modern and very classy! A very unique experience altogether.

11. salbelle says:

I love Everyman Screen on the Green in Islington. Having the bar in the cinema is genious! Why don’t more cinemas do that??

12. Londonette says:

Holloway Road Odeon – where, as I walked into their still-unheated Cinema 6, I was welcomed as “another long-suffering customer” by an a self-professd “long-suffering staff-member”.

13. Surrey Lady says:

The David Lean at The Croydon Clocktower is my “local”. I like it because there are never any badly behaved teenagers in the cinema. They show popular films a few weeks after they have vanished from the big Vue which is when I usually remember I want to see them.

14. Osteopath London says:

Everyman Cinema in Belsize Park is amazing.