Blaze: Street Dance at the Peacock Theatre

Blaze brings breakdancing locking and popping back to the London stage this month.

Being a fan of live dance performances, I always get a buzz when I hear about street dance coming my way. I was keen to see what stance the performers would take on delivering their passion in Sadler’s Wells latest production.

Blaze is directed by top West End director and choreographer Anthony Van Laast, (director of Mamma Mia! and Sister Act).

The set designer Es Devlin has created an intimate and cosy feel for the audience, using a stack of drawers as a backdrop, setting the scene in a teenager’s bedroom. The dancers made good use of the stage in creative entrances and exits around the set.

Dancers Carrie-Anne Ingrouille and Fabiano Carvalho Lopes stood out, delivering particularly creative and exciting moves.

However, I wish I’d seen a more polished performance overall. Some set routines were poorly developed and a little childish, and a contest recreating the Vogue dance routine seemed to need fine tuning. They also brought a clap-o-meter on stage; prompting audience participation felt a touch clumsy.

It will always bring a smile to my face when I see and hear about street dance, break-dancing and body popping. I love to see how it continues to evolve.  I’m always on the lookout for dancers keeping it fresh and putting an element of sophistication into street dance, because that’s what my favourite street dancers, like Michael Jackson, do. MJ made street dance sophisticated and opened it up to the world; and once you sophisticate a dance form, you can then take it to another level and deliver it to a wider audience.

Blaze is at the Peacock Theatre in Holborn until 28 March 2010

Comments

1. Carinya says:

I’m off to see this on Thursday, hope it’s good!

Also really looking forward to Breakin Convention 2010, which is coming up at Sadlers Wells. I’ve been every year for the past two years and am always blown away. It’s basically a showcase of the top poppers, lockers, breakers etc from all over the world.

I always leave feeling inspired, energised and as if I’ve picked up some moves (I soon realise that’s just in my head!)

• Flavio says:

Carinya, Breakin’ Convention has been going on for seven years from this May. It’s a shame you’ve only seen the past two, as collectively there have been scores of great acts. But I hear they’re developing an online archive of footage in the future, so watch out for that!

Anyway, the author of the blog is right, a lot of reviews, including my own, feel certain dance styles (ie, the vogueing and the new jack swing) are a little forced.
      Good to see name drops too. Carrie-Ann is one of the finest dancers going at the moment, and Fabiano (aka Neguin) is a breaker that will dance for hours without losing any energy – you need to see the guy at a jam!

The clap-o-meter is a tool used to introduce the next dance acts, and on the night I went and saw it, Tommy was the winner. It’d be interesting to see if it’s the same result every night as a result of seeing him on TV.

2. This sounds amazing, id love to go!

3. Lilac says:

This sounds cool. I love the way Peacock Theatre features so many different dance styles. Pleased to see Insane in the Brain is returning too : )

4. Rebecca says:

I went last night, with a group of 5 friends and we all thought it was amazing! If you love hip hop, street dancing, break dancing you will not be dissapointed.. It was an awesome stage show.

I loved all the color, props and stage set up. The moves and choreography are incredible, they are all amazing dancers. Each has their own individual style yet when dancing in the group everyone is in unison.

Highly rec, very entertaining!

THANKS

Enjoy

5. cin says:

YOU GUYS LOOK GREAT!! this reminds me of a game i played, “street breakers” on I-tunes!

6. Nicky Nu says:

i have not seen this but heard it is brillian, does it capture the true spirit of street dance and the urban culture? after all its soul that started street dance.