Sewing, Patchwork and Quilting: Fabric Shops in London

Visit some of London’s finest fabric shops and you’ll soon find the perfect material to make beautiful quilts, clothes and presents!

Liberty
For the ultimate fabric shopping experience, head to Liberty and swoon over the lovely Liberty print cotton in this stunning department store. Look out for the special collection of fabric created for the V&A Quilts exhibition which is sold by the metre, as well as in smaller pieces just for patchworking which are charmingly known as fat quarters!

The Cloth Shop
The Cloth Shop is a Notting Hill fabric boutique and a rabbit warren of beautiful cloth. Check out the back room which is full of yummy designer remnants and Savile Row leftovers.

The Cloth House
The area round Berwick Street is home to lots of fabric shops, including the two shops which make up The Cloth House. One shop offers basics like cottons, suiting and ticking, the other sells luxuries – velvets, jersey and embellished fabric. You’ll also love nearby Boroviks, The Berwick Street Cloth Shop and Soho Silks which are great if you’re making something for a special occasion.

Creative Quilting
If you’re off to see the tapestries at Hampton Court Palace and the textiles at The Royal School of Needlework, you’re just round the corner from Creative Quilting who stock over 1,000 different quilting fabrics, including festive fabrics for special occasions.

Tikki Patchwork
Tikki Patchwork is stuffed with colourful fabric that’s perfect for patchworking and making pretty gifts. Tikki Patchwork is close to Kew Gardens and they’ve clearly been inspired by the exotic flowers and the beauty of nature when choosing their lovely cotton prints.

M Rosenberg & Son
OK, this isn’t a shop, but once a month, M Rosenberg & Son take over Hays Village Hall in Bromley and fill it with huge rolls of lovely fabric. As well as the basics, you’ll find astonishing bold Italian print cottons and other unusual stuff that isn’t on their website. A family business, M Rosenberg & Son have been selling fabric since 1946 and it’s now the son and grandson! www.mrosenbergandson.com

MacCulloch & Wallis
The ultimate haberdashery, MacCulloch & Wallis have three floors stocking everything you need to whip up the perfect couture outfit – the thread, fabric, zips and trim. You can even pick up a hat block and sinamay in every colour of the rainbow to make a matching hat.

Goldhawk Road
There’s loads of fabric shops in Goldhawk Road which sell all sorts of fabric from all over the world. One of our favourites is Classic Textiles which offers good quality silk, crepe de chine and suiting. A-One Fabric and the stalls in Shepherd’s Bush Market also stock a good range.

Cath Kidston
Did you know you can buy Cath Kidston fabric by the metre so you can make anything you like? We love the London street scene cotton fabric and the oil cloth in pretty spots and florals.

Joel & Son Fabrics
Joel & Son have an enormous shop near Edgware Road and have been selling everything from printed cottons to embroidered chiffon for over 30 years. If you can’t find it here, you’ll have to weave it yourself!

Did we miss out your favourite places to buy fabric in London?

Comments

Great range of fabric shopss. With all the talk of quilts at the moment I’m feeling inspired to make something!

2. Londonette says:

This is great, so useful. If I only I could sew!! I will definitely pass it on to others though : )

3. Jill Levack says:

seems to be wrong address for \Mr Rosenberg, tried all sorts of variations…….has anybody got the correct one? Knew the father Mr Rosenberg way back in the 70′s! Always has had fantastic cloth.

4. Carinya says:

I often pop into Rolls & Rems in Lewisham for buttons and ribbons, it’s always packed with people and is really reasonable.

5. Karura says:

Great list- I’m going to check these places out. Been meaning to get some fabric for various projects for a while.

6. Bell says:

I’m trying to make a quilt for my first Nephew, I was hoping to find fabric with the classic cartoons on – Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Mario, Sonic ect. I can’t find anywhere that sells the fabric which means I may have to buy t-shirts and cut them up. Don’t really want to do this as it’s expensive and all the t-shirts i have seen have been printed on so i’m worried about them not standing the test of time. Anyone know of a shop that might sell the material i need? thanks!

• Lettice says:

You could try some of the patchwork shops like Creative Quilting or Tikki fabrics. Alternatively, why not see if you can track down some cartoon themed pillowcases or duvet covers and chop them up as they are designed to withstand wash and wear.

7. Emily says:

M Rosenberg now have beautiful shop in Wanstead, just a couple of minutes from the station. It’s lovely!

8. faye says:

I am going to London from Australia in June. Will be staying in Bayswater and as I’m a quilter would love to visit some of the quilting shops, special ones that a closeby.

9. sara says:

Great blog, Lettice. Check out Allans of Duke Street for exquisite fabrics.
    For inspiring ideas, do visit the Kaffe Fassett exhibition at The Fashion Museum.

10. Eduardo says:

Hi Lettice,
    I came across your shopping page about quilting and patchwork shops in London and noticed hat we are not listed.
    For more ino and details check our website, http://www.beyond-fabrics.co.uk.
    We are in East London on Columbia Rd Flower Market.

11. Anastasia says:

Hi, my name is Anastasia. I’m coming to London for weekend from France. Is it possible to find patchwork store in the center of London or not far by metro? I can not find good store in Lyon, France. I would be very glad if any of you could help me to find one in your city)))

12. Arda Halls says:

I am working on pattern called Grandmothers flower garden. Have a quilt and a circular tablecloth on the go. The tablecloth is being mounted on a white circular piece of sheeting. Not sure how I will finish it at the edges? Any suggestions? Love to be in contact with others doing this pattern of patchwork!