Breaking free: London’s Best Dance Crew

The Definitives. Bruce Woods of Tactical Innovations Limited

If you’re into street dancing, this weekend was designed for you. Breakin’ Convention returned to Sadler’s Wells with another top UK and international line-up, while over in Croydon the finals of London’s Best Dance Crew set Fairfield Halls alight – nearly literally, when organisers thought the stage curtains had caught fire!

For months, young dancers across London have been honing their routines and competing to reach Friday’s final. The atmosphere backstage on the night was one of nervous excitement, as last minute rehearsals were squeezed in and costumes tweaked.

Three groups battled it out in the first half. Trilogy’s fresh take on West Side Story earned them third place and they bowed out with a slick piece that made you realise how tough the competition was.

A fierce, African-inspired performance from The Definitives, featuring a troupe of drummers from London group Maracatu Estrela do Norte, and a hard-hitting show tackling bullying from Retaliation took these two groups into the final.

While we waited for the final showdown, we were treated to shows from a series of top performers – including former Sugababes singer Mutya Buena, Avant Garde and Peridot.

Then, finally, it was time for the final showdown. It was a close call, but in the end it was The Definitives who impressed the judges most. They were presented with a trophy and cheque for £3,000 by Private Johnson Beharry, the first soldier to be awarded a Victoria Cross since 1982.

And if two great street dance shows in one weekend wasn’t enough, the UK dance film Streetdance 3D is out at cinemas from 21 May. It’s time to invest in some lessons in popping, locking and breaking!

Photo:  The Definitives at London’s Best Dance Crew 2010. Bruce Woods of Tactical Innovations Limited

Comments

1. Oli says:

I watched the finals of London’s Best Dance Crew, and all three finalists were awesome with a capital AWE. It was hard to choose between them, so well done Definitives on securing the win.

The drummers weren’t bad either…!

2. sam says:

What an amazing night, drummers from the groups Maracatu Estrela do Norte and ERI OKAN getting together to form a new group ‘Ile Umbela’ especially to accompany the Definitives dance group. What an honour and a pleasure

3. Tracey says:

It so wonderful to see our London youths expressing such vitality and energy in a positive way. Its was an awesome night with such talent all round.
    Having seen the shows that lead to the finals on that Friday, I must say I am really happy that definitives won. They were really stretched with all the styles and challenges they had thrown at them by the judges, (the lady Gaga set was most impressive) seeing as there predominant style is Gangster.
    The African set had the judges impressed not only because they again were out of their comfort zone, but also the energy and choreography was very good. The drummers that accompanied them supported an already fantastic set!

Big shout out to Ile Umbela drummers, all the dancers who took part, and of course Definitives!

4. Mr Wetherspoons says:

It was OK but nowhere near as good as Move Like Michael Jackson. Those cats were cool as ice.

5. Nicky says:

This is the first time I have ever seen a competition which has forced the dancers involved to step up their game and go outside of their comfort zone when performing, and I think that it has helped street dance move on as a genre and art form. I absolutely loved watching all the dancers compete, (even though it made me very nervous when it came to eliminations!!) and the final was just so brilliant, I could hardly contain myself. Well done to all the groups involved and Definitives were outstanding and blended live percussion with dance beautifully. I can’t wait to see what will happen next!!

6. Anil says:

The performances were BRILLIANT, and the drumming INSPIRING.
    Excellent Entertainment. Well done
    Many congratulations

7. Ann-Marie says:

Well, it was a fabulous night indeed. Really chuffed to have participated for Definitives piece as part of Ile Umbela. Must check out that performance online cheers for that reminder Oli. A big congratulation to the winners & both runners up, for all your amazing hard work!

PS I love this pic!!!

8. Kemster says:

All groups were fantastic. So young but SOO mature, gifted and hardworking. They rehearsed night after night after night as they pursued their studies and careers by day. Outstanding. The drummers were superb. As for Definitives. Flawless. Out of their comfort zone and giving it more than their all. The best entertainment I’ve seen in years. I’d love to see their performance all over again and more.

9. uggs says:

Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from this site.