Visit London Asks for Your Tips on London’s Best Vegetarian Food

It’s National Vegetarian Week and with spring well and truly in swing, it’s an ideal time to munch on tasty fruit and veg.

Whether it’s by dining out at out at one of London’s vegetarian restaurants (I recently sampled the vegan delights of Saf in Shoreditch – yum!), or shopping for fresh produce at a farmers’ market, there’s plenty of choice in London.

What are your tips for London’s best vegetarian food?

Comments

1. Susanna says:

The two most incredible vegetarian experiences I have had recently were Saf in Shoreditch. The precisely defined, wonderfully intricate flavours and their unique cooking methods showed off the veg to the best. And the cocktails are to die for. I look forward to returning when their conservatory is open…
    And Ottolenghi’s in Islington was incredible. I have long been a fan of his recipes in The Guardian, so I had high expectations. They were in no way dashed, if anything I came away so inspired with the creativity involved, and the delicate way in which the flavours are combined, that I practically wanted to move house there and then. NB not all the menu is vegetarian, but there’s more than an abundance, and it is certainly more of a focal point than an afterthought.

2. Carinya says:

I love Food For Thought on Neal Street (near Covent Garden) – it’s tiny but cosy. The food is very reasonably priced (usually around £6-7) and delicious!

The Garden Museum near Lambeth Bridge also has a lovely, quiet veggie cafe.

I hear Mildred’s is good too, but I’ve never been.

3. Tommo says:

Mildred’s is brilliant. Even as a confirmed carnivore, I’ve sstill enjoyed every meal I’ve had their with my veggie friends.

4. Susan says:

Diwana Bhel Poori House on Drummond Street is terrific! Super-tasty South Indian food. Yum!

5. JENI says:

Pogo in Hackney is fantastic. The food’s really good and pretty cheap (£4.50 for a huge portion) and they have a wide choice of puds. A bit ‘rough and ready’ but we prefer that to formal so all in all, a great experience.

6. Brian Jacobs says:

There are so many vegetarian restaurants in London it’s hard to chose a favourite.

As a labour of love I created http://www.veganlondon.co.uk to list the best ones that are suitable for vegans.

Anyway I’ve broken down my favourites into catagories:
    GOURMET
    Zilli Green
    Manna, Primrose Hill
    INDIAN
    Rani’s (In Finchley Central)- (perhaps the best bhel poori in London)
    CHINESE
    Peking Palace, Archway
    Mr Man, Edgware
    HEALTHY
    Vitaorganic in Wardour Street
    SPECIAL MENTION
    Inspiral Lounge, Camden, for it’s healthy ice creams and great cakes
    222 Veggie Vegan – a wonderful friendly vegan restaurant

Yours

Brian

7. Diana says:

222 Veggie Vegan restaurant in West Kensington is lovely. On a recent 2 night trip to London we had our evening meals there both days. Plenty choice too.

We also like Beatroot in Soho.

8. Nic says:

agree with carinya, food for thought in cg rocks out! i always leave there full and happy.

9. jog says:

There is also a great Vegetarian Indian restaurant in Stoke Newington on Church Street called Rasa. Highly recommend as is super cheap too! Tasting menu for £17.. can’t get better than that!

• Nic says:

ah yes, rasa! there is a version of that somewhere near oxford street. do great things with beetroot.

10. Nicky says:

The Vegan Routes bus in Soho does beautiful vegan food. It is also very healthy but doesn’t compromise on flavour for this.

Another great place is the Inspiral Lounge in Camden. Everything is vegan! I can highly recommend the Tiramisu.

• Carinya says:

The Vegan Routes bus is great. Where else can you eat on an old routemaster bus?! Well… actually there’s the Rootmaster vegan cafe off Brick Lane. Never eaten there, but looks great too.

11. Mel says:

Inspiral in Camden and Veg has a gorgeous Chinese buffet in Islington and Camden.

12. Tati says:

Zilli Green, in Soho, is amazing!! Those desserts…mmm. Also Inspiral Lounge in Camden, and a Vegan Japanes: Itadaki Zen , in KIng’s X

13. Vijay Rana says:

Hi
    Those who are interested in South Indian food, Saravana Bhavan is a very good restaurant. I have been there with my family twice.

They have two restaurants, sadly both outside central London. But they are very reasonably priced and portions are big. Food is very good and you don’t feel short changed.

Cheers!