Visit London Asks: Where Do You Get London’s Best Fish and Chips?

Next Monday 16 August, The Golden Union Fish Bar in Soho is celebrating 150 years of British cuisine favourite, Fish & Chips!

According to Golden Union, Joseph Malin set up the first chip shop in Cleveland Street in London’s East End in 1860 on this date.

To celebrate the momentous occasion, Golden Union is offering the first 150 customers through their door on 16 August a fish and chips meal for £1.50 each. Good luck!

It got us wondering, where do you go for London’s best fish and chips?

Comments

1. August23g says:

Our F&C place is The Fish Pond, 185 Portobello Rd, the perfect old-school market-eatery type of place – we always pop in after a Friday morning stroll on Portobello market.

2. Ad says:

Toffs in Muswell Hill!

Olley’s in Herne Hill is a cosy place but a bit pricey for fish and chips. I had lovely fish and chips at a gastropub in Hampstead Heath, I think it was The Holly Bush, but I’m not 100% sure!

4. Zoe J. Griffiths says:

Another nod for Toff’s in Muswell Hill!

And if you’re south of the river, Sea Cow on Lordship Lane is totally brilliant too.

5. Hassan says:

best place has to be, victoria fish place (something like that), roman road, bethnal green

6. kate freeman says:

Please note that the celebration of 150 years of fish and chips at the Golden Union Fish Bar takes place on Monday August 16th. Many thanks!

7. Boo says:

I only ate white bread, chips and chocolate when I was a kid so I know a thing or two about carbs. I’ve tried a quite a few London takeaway style chippies and they rarely hit the spot. When I get the urge, I usually go posh. I especially like Bibendum’s haddock and chips. The chips are always perfect and they stack them up beautifully. http://www.bibendum.co.uk/restaurant/lunch-menu.html

8. I will be visiting the Golden Union for my lunch today- cant wait- Grant

9. Rachel says:

My votes go to The Narrow in Limehouse which is Gordon Ramsay’s pub, lovely light batter and chunky chips; and Fish House in Victoria Park, they do amazing old school puddings too!