Kate Middleton’s Wedding Dress to be Displayed at Buckingham Palace

There’s an extra reason to visit Buckingham Palace this summer as Kate Middleton’s Royal Wedding dress will be on display from 23 July to 3 October 2011.

The famous dress, designed by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen, is made of ivory and white satin-gazar and features a 2.7 metre (9 ft) train.

The Buckingham Palace display will be the first chance for the public to see the dress up-close and appreciate the intricate embroidery detail; it’s covered in lace appliqué flowers, some of which are as small as 5p coins!

Kate’s wedding shoes, veil, diamond earrings and Cartier tiara lent by the Queen will be displayed with the wedding dress. The couple’s wedding cake will also be on display.

This year’s summer opening also features an exhibition of The Queen’s Faberge collection.

In other Royal Wedding news, it was revealed today that Kensington Palace will be the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s temporary London residence.

Buckingham Palace Summer Opening runs from 23 July to 3 October 2011. Book tickets here

Comments

1. LazyLondon says:

I hope they find a good spot to exhibit it. When I visited last year, there was a bottleneck in the special exhibition space and it made it virtually impossible to get near anything. I ended up skipping that part of the tour.

• Pete says:

they’ve displayed everything so well. great views of the dress and especially the cake! amazing level of detail on all that. the state rooms were absolutely stunning. go go go!

2. Lettice says:

I haven’t seen any decent photos of the embroidery on the dress so have to go and see this!

• Lettice says:

Ah, it turns out to be appliqué, lots of little lace motifs cut out and carefully sewn on in a new pattern.

The presentation of the dress really impressed me, I enjoyed seeing the video where Sarah Burton explained how the dress was constructed, and the large photos of the details were great. I also enjoyed being able to walk round the entire dress and see it close up. Very glad I went.

And the Fabergé collection was lovely too.

After seeing so much coverage of the dress, it was interesting to be able to look at it close up (you could get a lot closer than I’d expected). I liked the presentation which included a video of Sarah Burton explaining how the dress was designed and made – really helped me to appreciate the work that went into it.

I thought the huge and beautifully decorated wedding cake was actually more impressive than the dress – if only they were selling slices in the gift shop!

4. Lisa says:

Absolutely stunning! It’s amazing to see the details and learn about how the dress was constructed. Really well presented and definitely recommend going to see it. State rooms were beautiful as well.

5. Kirsty says:

I recently went to the exhibition and i thought the way the dress was displayed was stunning, you were really able to view the dress well and see lace details. The cake was magnificent, again so much detail.
    It was also really insight to visit the other rooms at Buckingham Place too.
    Highly recommendable! A must see……

6. Tessa says:

Booked a Buckingham Palace tour to take place Monday 15th August via visitlondon.com website which took me to Goldentours website. Took their advice and avoided the ‘busy mornings’ arrived at 2.30 pm to be told that the daily quota had been reached and could not enter. Very dissapointed was told at Buckingham Palace that only booking through ‘The Royal Collection’ website guarantees an entry for a particular date – why doesn’t visitlondon.com use that link. Be warned!

• Zoe Craig says:

Hi Tessa,

I’m so sorry to hear about your experiences. I’m forwarding your message to Golden Tours, so they can resolve this.

7. Barry says:

Hi Tessa

We have spoken to Golden Tours and the Royal Collection and they have advised that due to the large volume of people this year, Buckingham Palace are having to turn away some customers or offer them alternate dates for safety reasons. Volume has almost doubled compared to last year.

These are not just Golden Tours customers, unfortunately no ticket provider can guarantee entry at busy times.