Please note this blog is no longer active. This post was last updated 4 years, 11 months ago and may contain out of date prices, opening times, links and information. Go to www.visitlondon.com for the lastest visitor information for London.
A new charity initiative was launched this week that sees pop stars taking to the West End stage for special encores. Pop Goes The Musical raises money for Children in Need by offering special £80 tickets for fab West End shows, which are then followed by special performances by pop stars.
- Les Miserables followed by a performance by Alexandra Burke, 18 Sep
- Jersey Boys followed by a performance by Blue, 11 Oct
- Singin in the Rain followed by a performance by Geri Halliwell, 25 Oct
- Thriller Live followed by a performance by Macy Gray and Stooshe, 15 Nov
Tickets can be purchased exclusively at www.lastminute.com/pudsey and include a top price seat, signed programme, Pudsey bear toy, complementary drink and access to a VIP after show reception hosted by the famous bear himself.
Hampstead Downstairs has announced its autumn season this week. Three plays, Brain, Blue Sky and Ignorance will be produced by the theatre; both Brain and Ignorance are new shows, the first by writer Rona Munro; the second by Steve Waters. The space was created for new writers to showcase their work, so if you’re a fan of seeing and feeding back on new theatre, book now.
If you’re looking ahead to theatre production in London for the summer 2013, I’ve got some great news from the Open Air Theatre. Their summer season will contain a production of Harper Lee’s American classic To Kill A Mockingbird alongside the much-loved musical The Sound Of Music. Christopher Sergel’s adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize-winning Mockingbird will play from 16 May to 15 June. And the Von Trapp family will be encouraging you to Climb Every Mountain and consider your Favourite Things from 25 July to 7 September. These are just two of the four shows on offer at the venue next summer.
London Theatre Casting News:
- Stephen Campbell Moore and Dominic Rowan will appear on stage at the Donmar Warehouse in Berenice this autumn.
- Sian Phillips joins Will Young and Michelle Ryan in the revival of Rufus Norris’ Olivier Award-winning production of Cabaret this autumn. Other cast members include Harriet Thorpe, who was in the original production, as Fraulein Kost; and Matt Rawle, who plays the young American writer Cliff Bradshaw. Cabaret opens at the Savoy Theatre in October.
- Marcus Lovett is taking over from Peter Joback as the eponymous lead in The Phantom Of The Opera at Her Majesty’s Theatre next month. Joining him are Lara Martins as Carlotta, Anna O’Byrne who plays Christine, taking over from Sofia Escobar, and Simon Thomas, who replaces Killian Donnelly as Raoul.