It’s been an exciting few weeks for London foodies. Two new restaurants – Aqua and Hutong – have opened in The Shard, and American phenomenon Shake Shack has launched its first UK branch in Covent Garden. Read on for more new places to eat and drink in the capital.
This new British restaurant is perched on Level 31 of The Shard, Western Europe’s tallest building, and offers stunning views of London. On the menu you’ll find British staples such as Dover sole with cuttlefish, broad beans and cider sauce. There’s also a bar with three-storey-high panoramic windows, where you can enjoy cocktails inspired by British favourites gin and afternoon tea.
Aqua Shard’s sister restaurant, Hutong, serves Northern Chinese cuisine and is located on Level 33 of The Shard with fantastic views of the London skyline.
Signature dishes include Red Lantern (crispy crab with chilli); chilled, spiced razor clams; crispy de-boned lamb ribs and roasted Peking duck. At lunchtime you can pick from a menu of meat, fish and veggie dim sum.
Cult American burger bar Shake Shack has opened its first UK branch in Covent Garden. Originally launched in New York’s Madison Square Park in 2004, Shake Shack is known for its burgers, flat-top dogs and frozen custard, available as shakes and concretes (blended frozen custard with mix-ins). Try the Drury Lane Jam concrete with custard, strawberry jam, biscuit and banana. And look out for treats for your dog on the Woof menu!
Whyte & Brown
New chicken and egg restaurant Whyte and Brown has just opened in Kingly Court, off Carnaby Street. You can choose from roasted and grilled chicken, burgers, soups, pies, salads, casseroles, wings and croquettes, or free-range egg dishes such as risotto Scotch egg, and eggs Florentine and Benedict. Pop in at the weekend for traditional roast chicken with all the trimmings.
More Foodie News
- Tom’s Kitchen Canary Wharf: Tom Aikens has opened a new a restaurant, bar and deli in Canary Wharf
- Jamie’s Italian Trattoria: Jamie Oliver has launched his first Trattoria, a smaller and more rustic version of Jamie’s Italian, in Richmond
- The Happenstance: This new bar and restaurant has floor-to-ceiling windows with views of St Paul’s Cathedral
- Joe’s Southern Kitchen and Bar: Previously Navajo Joe, this Covent Garden venue serves American food and creative cocktails
- Paesan: Paesan has opened on the corner of Exmouth Market serving simple, authentic Italian dishes and cocktails
- Five Guys: The American burger bar has just opened its first UK branch in Covent Garden