Guest post by the Museum of London

Visiting the Past: The Opening of the New London Bridge

The “new” London Bridge was opened to great fanfare on 1 August 1831 by King William IV and Queen Adelaide, as shown in this unusual tinsel print, one of many in the Museum of London’s collection.

Seven years to build, it replaced the creaking old medieval bridge which had been there for hundreds of years. The new bridge was 283 metres long and 15m metres wide and was designed by Rennie. It was considered state of the art but even so could not keep with the congestion generated by the largest city in the world in the 19th century.

However it lasted until 1968 when amazingly it was sold to an American Robert McCulloch of McCulloch Oil who arranged for it to be removed and reconstructed in Arizona. An even newer London Bridge was then built on the same site which exists today.

A guest blog by the Museum of London, as part of our Visiting the Past series

Bookmark and Share:

Comments

You can follow any comments on this entry through the RSS feed.

Leave a Reply