Please note this blog is no longer active. This post was last updated 3 years, 4 months ago and may contain out of date prices, opening times, links and information. Go to www.visitlondon.com for the lastest visitor information for London.
The nation has gone barmy for cake thanks to The Great British Bake Off, which will see its champion baker crowned tonight in the series final. In homage to magnificent cakes across the capital, we’ve rounded up five of the best London cake shops. So loosen your belt and get stuck in.
1. Konditor & Cook: Famed for its scrumptious chocolate vanilla Curly Whirly cake, highly decorated cupcakes and well-stocked brownie bar, this luxury cake shop chain has six London stores: in Borough Market, Curzon Soho, Chancery Lane, Waterloo, the Southbank and The Gherkin.
2. Candy Cakes: For tasty cakes that ooze fun and flair, pay a visit to Candy Cakes. Expect colourful cakes with novelty designs that go down a storm with kids and adults alike. With five stores in central London, its flagship store in Covent Garden has been hyped as a “colourful candyland full of sugary surprises”.
3. Bea’s of Bloomsbury: With four cafes across Central London, Bea’s has won numerous accolades for its outstanding cakes and delicious afternoon teas, which include mountains of scones with clotted cream and jam, cupcakes and a glut of mini treats including brownies, meringues and fruity marshmallows.
4. The Hummingbird Bakery: This American-style bakery sells a whopping 22,000 cupcakes a week across its five London stores. Other tasty treats on offer include whoopie pies, layer cakes, brownies, pies, cheesecakes, muffins and more.
5. Maison Bertaux: With its vintage awnings and retro vibe, this time-warp cafe is London’s oldest French pâtisserie. Established in 1871, the tea parlour’s seriously moreish fruit tarts, creamy eclairs, pies and marzipan figs are all baked on the premises. Find out more about the beautiful bakery by watching Maison Bertaux’s Michelle Wade sharing her personal London Story. Watch the video for a chance to win a dream trip to London for two. Find out more here.