Firstly (and fittingly for Roald Dahl Day) congratulations to Matilda the Musical for making it into the Guinness Book of Records! The hit musical won the awards for Best New Musical, Best Actress in a Musical, Best Actor in a Musical, Best Director, Best Theatre Choreographer, Best Set Design and Best Sound Design at the Olivier Awards last year, stealing the record Nicholas Nickleby (1980), which had retained the title for Most Olivier Award Wins for more than 20 years.
Second, there’s a new musical on the horizon. A Chorus Line opens at the London Palladium next year: the first London revival of the show ever. Featuring the iconic songs One (Singular Sensations), What I Did For Love, I Can Do That and Hope I Get It, the Olivier Award-winning musical is the story of 17 dancers auditioning for a Broadway show. It’ll play a limited season from 2 February (press night 19 February) to 29 June.
London Cast News
- Janie Dee will lead the cast of NSFW at the Royal Court, Lucy Kirkwood’s debut play opening in late October
- Tricycle season regular Simon Chandler and Charlotte Lucas (last seen in Posh) are among the cast joining Adrian Lester in Red Velvet at the Tricycle theatre
- West End star Oliver Tompsett is swapping one rocking West End musical for another as he’s leaving Rock Of Ages to join We Will Rock You in October
- Conleth Hill, Will Keen, Felicity Montagu and Malcolm Sinclair will join the previously announced Rowan Atkinson in Quartermaine’s Terms at Wyndham’s Theatre
- Damian Humbley, Jenna Russell and Mark Umbers return to the Menier Chocolate Factory this winter to star in Maria Friedman’s forthcoming production of Merrily We Roll Along
London Shows Extending